Can You Get Rid Of An El Cid Timeshare
El Cid Vacations Club and El Cid Resorts are timeshare companies located in Mexico and owned by RCI, the biggest timeshare company in the world. They own several properties in Mazatlán, Cancún-Riviera Maya, and Cozumel.
Owning a timeshare in any one of these storied locations can be satisfying for a little while, but you still may be wondering if its possible to get rid of El Cid timeshare. There are several reasons you could be in this position. Many people who want to sell or cancel their timeshares do so because of high fees, unexpected property maintenance needs, or consistent bookings that keep them from ever really getting to take a vacation.
This is often the case when it comes to El Cid Vacations Club and El Cid Resorts. In fact, when we looked into this timeshare company, we actually found more serious complaints and concerns.
A quick Google search will show you that people seek to cancel El Cid timeshare because it is very much a bait-and-switch operation. Most of these unsatisfied customers have called El Cid Vacations Club and El Cid Resorts a scam. There arent Google reviews to speak of, nor do they have a BBB page, but their 3 stars on ComplaintsBoard with 41% of all claims remaining unresolved is just a snapshot of what these issues are like. In addition, their parent company RCI has 1.5 stars out of 5 on ConsumerAffairs, which speaks to their management overall.
Top 10 Complaints About El Cid Timeshare
1. – At the timeshare presentation, salespeople offer potential clients false promises of discounts on airfares, cruises, car rentals, etc.
2. – Timeshare sales tactics are hardcore and very long-lasting. Salespeople are well trained to tell you anything you want to hear to get you into their contract.
4. – Salesperson doesnt let their buyers know that they have 5 days cooling periods if they want to cancel.
5. – At the sales presentation, salespeople tell buyers they will not pay annuity, but this is a lie.
6. – Salespeople claim that they timeshare points have more value than they actually do for exchange purposes.
7. – Salespeople tell the clients they will receive their full contract on a CD to their home address. They dont receive a full copy to review and decide if they want to cancel within the 5 day rescission period.
8. – El Cid offers to resell a previously owned timeshare or take it over in trade. This never happens.
9. – El Cid stated points never expire. But when you try to book you are never able to do it you have to make your reservation 1 year before and it is not sure that you are able to do it.
10. – They do not respond and the people on the phone have very poor customer service.
If you would like to read more complaints about El Cid Timeshare, visit our black list of timeshare fraud resorts.
El Cid Vacations Club
IN July 2021 my husband and I went to a presentation We contracted to purchase 105000 points with El Cid for $28000, not to be activated until January 2022. Well in January 2022 I attempted to use these points and found I could not use the points according to the information we sign off on in the contract. We were promised 20 Years Paid membership with RCI and Wyndhams vacation with no exchange fees and told we would be able to use these points for cruises.El Cid has no affiliation with RCI so what I was told in the contract is fraudulentand deceptive.Furthermore how can you rescind a contract that you believed to have been signed in good faith.Since El Cid cannot stand up to a written contract how can they be trusted at all El Cid needs to refund all monies paid
Desired outcome: cancel contract and refund money paid
You May Like: Vacation Rental Rules And Regulations
What Are The Pros And Cons Of A Timeshare/vacation Club
- It is a purchase of a rental unit that can be cheaper for you over the course of many future vacations.
- A locked in space at a resort you like and are implied a guaranteed space for you.
- Something you can share with friends or family.
- You can get extra club benefits and gain points for more upgrades.
- It can be hard to sell or exchange your membership if you want to especially if your circumstances change in the future or desire to keep the share.
- Unexpected fees or maintenance cost increase.
- If you do not go then you can loose your time for the year.
- Promises of return on investment are often just a possible return and are sales tactics to get you to purchase.
- Usually a large upfront cost is involved.
- You are locked into going to the same resort or chain of resorts each year.
- When you circumstances change like a death in family or you are not physically able to go it can be hard to get out of contracts and you continue to pay for something you cannot use.
- Policies can change over time which effect how you can use your time or how much you need to spend.
- Most shares do not appreciate in value unlike real estate .
Grupo El Cid Resorts And Interval International Announcemulti
Miami, FL, February 25, 2022 Interval International, a leading worldwide provider of vacation services, and GRUPE SAB. de C.V., the holding company for Grupo El Cid Resorts, today announced a new affiliation agreement. The multi-site agreement includes five existing resorts that are part of El Cid Vacations Club, as well as any future resorts developed or acquired during the term of the agreement. The properties are situated in Mazatlán and Puerto Morelos-Riviera Maya, two of Mexicos most popular beachfront vacation destinations.
El Cid El Moro Beach Resort El Moros 25-story tower has ocean-view units and a dazzling pool with waterfalls. On-site or nearby, youll enjoy golf, a spa and fitness center, a sailing academy and excursions, sportfishing, tennis, swimming pools, water sports, and live entertainment.
Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo Ventus Ha Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort As part of the all-inclusive package offered at this newly opened luxury resort, members can experience an exclusive check-in/checkout area, a la carte gourmet meals and premium beverage brands, butler service, waiter service at the pool and beach areas, fitness center, tennis courts, water sports, biking tours, nightly theme shows, kids and teens clubs, full-service concierge, and more.
Also Check: How To Finance A Vacation Rental Property
El Cid Resorts Frauds
The hard sales pitch in timeshare presentations are one of the most common complaints, I had one of these in the Hotel El Cid, in Mexico. In my experience it was one of the most annoying and long presentation Ive ever been, because the salesmen were very insistent, they want to make sure that you sign the contract and they will tell you all the lies you can ever imagine to make it sound too good to be true. They told me I could be able to cancel my timeshare in a few days but just in case I should sign the contract because the offer was just for that moment. After all that hard sales work I was tired and I just wanted to put an end to it and Ive decided to sign the contract and then cancel later. That was the biggest mistake ever! When I tried to cancel I realized that it was almost impossible! They said my period has expired and that I wouldnt be able to cancel it. They didnt took my calls or even answer my e-mails. It became a nightmare. Do not ever make the mistake of signing a contract just because they are so insistent, in the following link you can read an article about this kind of presentations and how to survive them:
Yepthe El Cid Deal Was A Bit Of A Scam
Here’s my follow up to those who care about how the El Cid is now doing business. To recap: I no longer can call RCI to deposit my week, I have to contact the hotel directly. This is policy and RCI has no control. However, the El Cid does still work with RCI. I e-mailed them at the address RCI gave me and got a nice reply. They were happy to deposit my week…..however a few days later when the confirmation came through I noticed that they had deposited a 1 br on the 16th floor, and not the 2br corner on the 19th that I own. I’ve since contaced RCI and they are assuring me that it won’t hurt my trading power. We’ll see. At least now I know why they took over their own deposits…they plan to deposit any unit they want, not necessarily mine!
paull152 wrote:I have an on-going search for a summer week in Cabo…no hit yet. RCI insists that the ElCid “switcheroo” won’t hurt my exchange power but how can I possibly know? Just have to wait and see what “pops”.
It will not help getting your exchange, BUT if other TUG members can “see Cabo” and you can’t, it tells you that RCI has availabilities and your unit does not have the trading power for the exchange.
I believe you have to join TUG to use this feature.
This doesn’t make sense. What if you had guests with you. Would you want them sleeping on the living room sofa instead of in a second bedroom. Square footage being the same or not is not the issue here? You OWN a 2 bedroom.
You May Like: How Much Per Point For Disney Vacation Club
Avoiding Timeshare Resale Scams
Before going down the road of selling your timeshare, be sure to look out for companies that say they will charge you an upfront fee of any kind. Generally, companies like this will say they will post your timeshare on their website and advertise it until they find a buyer. This is little more than a scam, because once your timeshare gets posted on their website, itll just be lumped in with hundreds or thousands of other properties that get little to no views or clicks, and certainly have no interested buyers.
Either a licensed timeshare broker, one of the websites we linked to above, or a reputable timeshare exit company will be a far better option when you want to cancel El Cid timeshare. Always be sure to check a timeshare brokers licensing before you start working them, though.
Walking Away From El Cid Mazatlan
We have a new COVID-19 forum – it’s right under the TUG Lounge.Aloha!
maybedirectly askedPay attention and drive the car. Chat on your cell phone later, when you’ve finished driving — and don’t even THINK about texting until then!
pdxjim said:After reading through all my documents, I wonder if I can just walk away from my unit. I paid off the purchase price and windham sends me the maintenance fees. Contracting for this unit in Mexico makes me wonder about the walk away. They reference the Mexican federal law enforcing the contract. Suggestions? I don’t want to pay any more money for a “transfer” or whatever they would like to collect additional fees on.
no oneabsolutely noany You were specifically advised to contact El Cid directly to inquire about any options for “getting out cleanly”. You overtly stated that you would do so. It’s two weeks later now did you ever follow through? If so, what was the result? If not, why not?some
You May Like: Seabreeze Vacation Rentals Dana Point
Privacy & Security Statement
We appreciate your confidence in us and promise that personal information entrusted to us is protected to the best of our ability. The personal information that you provide us shall be treated in keeping with the provisions stipulated in this Privacy Notice and according to the Mexican Federal Law for Protection of Personal Data held by Private Persons .
The following companies, hereinafter referred to as El Cid, are companies committed to the protection of your privacy:
El Cid is responsible for the personal information that it collects, as described below, in terms of individuals right to privacy and information self-determination, in compliance with the provisions of the Protection of Personal Information in the mexican Possession of Private Entities Law and its regulations, heeding the principles of lawfulness, consent, information, quality, purpose, fairness, proportionality, and responsibility.
Third Party / Data Processor Objetive
- ResortCom International, LLC Payment operator for overseas Vacation Club contracts with financing
- Resort Condominiums International de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V. Payment services for maintenance fees and reservations
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc. Administration of exchange programs for timeshare owners
- International Cruise & Excursions, Inc. Points-based vacation services programs
- Sabre Hospitality Solutions To complete transactions for hotel bookings
- E-Travel Solutions To complete transactions for hotel bookings
Using the method provided in the section AVAILABLE METHODS OF COMMUNICATION, we will kindly accept your request not to process your personal information. Details regarding the use of the abovementioned personal information may be provided at the request of the individual, using the mechanisms for exercising ARCO rights set forth below, in the section of the same name. Detailed information regarding natural or legal persons to whom personal information is transferred, may be provided at the request of the individual, using the mechanisms set forth for exercising ARCO rights.
El Cid does not collect sensitive personal information.
Read Also: How To Vacate A Wage Garnishment
Selling El Cid Timeshare On The Resale Market
Since El Cid Resorts and El Cid Vacations Club do not appear to hold true to their contractual claims in most cases, looking into different avenues to exit your timeshare is probably the best idea in your situation. You may be able to try selling your El Cid timeshare on the resale market. Typically this is more feasible if you do not owe a mortgage. Our recommendations are the following low-cost resale platforms for anyone looking to get out of El Cid timeshare:
Finding a buyer on one of these platforms on your own can save you the cost of hiring a timeshare resale broker. That said, you will have to figure out how to transfer the timeshare to the buyer on your own, which can be challenging.
Using a licensed timeshare broker instead can be an easier and less stressful option. A broker will do the work of finding a buyer for you. However, they will likely take about 50% of the final sales price as commission.
El Cid Vacations Club Discusses Top Cultural Sites In Mazatln
- · Angela Peralta Theater: The Angela PeraltaTheater has been around for over 100 years and is of great historicalsignificance to the city of Mazatlán. The theater used to be called the RubioTheater and was finished being built on February 6, 1881. In 1992 the theaterwas renovated and is now the home to many important festivals, such as the MazatlánCultural Festival and the Jose Limon International Dance Festival.
- · Municipal Art Center: The Municipal Art Centeris a staple for the arts in the Mazatlán community. Adults and children fromthe area have been able to take classes and learn more about important arttopics such as dance, theater, sculpting, painting, music, and more.
- · Las Labradas: El Cid Vacations Clubstates that the Las Labradas is a beach justnorth of Mazatlán and contains a wealth of history. Guests are able to check outthe petroglyphs and rock art that were used as communication many centuriesago.
You May Like: Cruise Ship All Inclusive Vacation Packages
Why This Timeshare Lawsuit Has A Strong Case
Despite only being able to offer licensing to use the timeshare properties , told potential buyers they could purchase a title that included interest in a land trust. In reality, the new points program simply gave owners access to condos that were held in the land trust. Throughout all marketing efforts, Marriott placed value on owning more points to gain even more access. This led buyers to believe the opportunity was valuable. By positioning the product this way, Marriott was able to not only charge buyers for points programs, but also closing costs, title policy premiums, real estate tax and recording fees.
Over the course of the buyers ownership experience, it appears Marriott did a poor job of providing transparency regarding the purchase. Although the points program wasnt illegal itself, should have never charged buyers for something theyd never be able to acquire. After the purchase, members of the lawsuit claim they never really understood what they paid for. Even the ownership percentage of their trust fluctuated on a daily basis.
While Marriott was able to manipulate the system for quite some time, buyers eventually grew tired of the lack of disclosure. They decided that filing the Marriott Vacation Club class action lawsuit was the only way they could escape the scheme. Amongst a plethora of complicated evidence against the hotel chain, allegations essentially stemmed from the initial point of sale.
More Details On The Marriott Vacation Club Lawsuit
While it became apparent that the complainants, buyers, had definitely been misled by Marriott, additional parties involved also administered misconduct. After an investigation, it was found that the former Orange County Comptroller, , accepted and filed deeds that didnt exist. This is what led buyers to believe title costs were valid. Because of this, she was also listed as a defendant in the lawsuit. First American Titles role started when they charged Marriott to write title insurance policies without any type of legal title documentation.
Selling this type of product and going extra lengths to attempt validation is usually considered criminal activity. Its why the class action lawsuit didnt have to focus on much outside of Florida law violations. While it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, Marriott and those involved in the transaction faced racketeering charges.
Over the years, its been proven that some timeshare companies will do nearly anything to recoup losses. Participating in questionable sales tactics is how many have been able to remain afloat for so long. Hundreds of thousands of vacation owners have been told one thing and sold another. Its why weve made it a priority to help you understand the traps of the timeshare trade.
This Marriott Vacation Club class action lawsuit should tell you that even the most prominent resorts may have something up their sleeve. So be careful what youre signing up for and always confirm the terms.
Recommended Reading: How To Stop Period From Coming On Vacation